Skip navigation


If you experience financial difficulties whilst at Cambridge there is plenty of help available from colleges, the university and from the government. The first point of contact if you're experiencing difficulties should be the personal tutor assigned to you by your college. If they are busy or unhelpful you can request to see a different tutor, or alternatively contact the Student Advice Service.

We have put together a range of links you might find useful:

University Financial Support

  • Searchable portal to find funds at Cambridge
  • College awards Many colleges have their own bursaries/scholarships along with hardship funds.
  • Cambridge Bursary Scheme The Cambridge Bursary is a means-tested grant of up to £3,500 (£5,650 for some mature students) every year of your degree. The Cambridge Bursary is in addition to the support available to you from the Government and you will not have to pay it back. There is no limit to the number of bursaries available - every student who applies and meets the eligibility criteria will receive one.
  • Financial Support for Disabled Students Disabled Students' Allowances – Both the government and the University have funds to help disabled students through university. This may be in cash awards or equipment such as laptops.
  • University Hardship funds Hardship funds are available for undergraduate students (The Bell, Abbott and Barnes Fund) and graduate students (Hardship Funding) and The Crane's Charity to assist with medical costs.
  • Student Parents The government offer money to students with young children to help with child-care and other costs.

University Finance and Costs

Student Loans and Student Support

Student Tuition Fee Loans, Maintenance Loans and Maintenance Grants are available through the Student Loans Company for students from England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Student Tuition Fee Loans and Maintenance Loans are repayable at the same rate of interest as inflation and you will only start repaying your loan after you graduate and are earning £16,910 or more. Maintenance Grants are means-tested on your household income and will not have to be paid back.

General Money Issues and Debt

Scholarships and Bursaries

(For Cambridge-specific, take a look at the sidebar links)

Postgraduate Funding

Research Councils

These are the most important sources of postgraduate funding. There are seven research councils which award grants:

Visit the Prospects website for details of the grants available, and how to apply.

Also see the following bodies for grants and studentships:



Employment, Tax and Benefits