Skip navigation

During and after the exams

The University has practical information for student regarding examinations for both undergraduates and postgraduates.

You should also read the University Examinations Proctorial notice regarding conduct during examinations.

What should I do if I'm feeling unwell the day of my exams?

In line with University recommendations:

If you feel unwell on the day of your exam and do not think that you are able to sit your exam in the scheduled venue, then you should get in contact with your College Tutorial Office, the Porters' Lodge, or the College Nurse (if your College has one) as soon as possible to let them know that you are unwell. Appropriate advice will then be given on what you should do.

If you feel unwell during an examination, let an invigilator know immediately. The invigilator will arrange for you to be escorted back to College with your examination paper. The College should give you time and space to recover, and provide you with an opportunity to complete your examination paper in College later that day.

It is recommended you speak to the GP or College Nurse (if your college has one) as soon as possible. The College Nurse can also make emergency referrals to the GP if required.

Inform your College Tutor you are feeling unwell and of the full circumstances whatever the cause, at the earliest possible moment.

What should I do if something happens in the exam which affects my performance (large amounts of external noise, disturbance in exam room, mistake on the paper etc.)?

In line with University recommendations:

If you are concerned about the conduct of the exam or other external factor in the exam room that might affect your performance, it is important that you inform the University as soon as possible. You can do this by submitting a Representation to the Examiner form within 5 days of the examination. You can also inform your College Tutor and they may decide to report this to Student Registry. Where a form is received by Student Registry or the Student Registry becomes aware of an irregularity, this will be communicated to the Chair of Examiners and considered by the Examiners at their final meeting.

Further information can be found here:

Student Complaints - Examination Reviews

What can I do if I fail or under-perform in my exam/s?

In line with University recommendations:

Ask your DoS or Supervisor if they can check that the scoring has been added up correctly..

If no error can be found in the scoring and you have reasons to believe that your results have been affected by any of the following:

  • A procedural irregularity in the examination process that has adversely impacted the Candidate's Examination Results;
  • Demonstrable bias or the perception of bias within the examination process.
  • The withdrawal of academic provision, which has had a demonstrable impact on the examination itself of which the Examining Board were not aware.
  • Extenuating circumstances – serious illness or other grave cause.

Contact your College Tutor or speak to the Students' Unions' Advice Service to discuss your options. Do this as soon as possible after receiving your formal results as there are time constraints when submitting an application to the University.

Further information and advice

In line with University recommendations:

If you are in your final year and your results are not what you had hoped, you can book an appointment with an Advisor at the University Careers Service to discuss your career options.

If these were not your final exams, you can talk to your DoS/Supervisor to see where you went wrong and what you can improve on next year.

Further information and guidance can be found here as there are different procedures depending on your degree:

Student Complaints - Examination Reviews

Examination Access and Mitigation Committee - Examination Allowances

When will my Tripos results be published?

Each Tripos part has different publication dates. If your publication date isn't on CamSiS, your DoS or faculty secretary will be able to tell you.