Skip navigation

Living Out

Living Out

Most undergraduate and some graduate students live in college whilst they are in Cambridge, but you may want to live out. If so, you should consider when to look, where you want to live, who you may want to share with, and hidden costs such as furniture, the deposit, monthly bills on top of the rent, TV license, and broadband/phone. The most important thing is to know your own responsibilities and rights in relation to your landlord or agency.

Seeking Information and Advice

Finding Accomodation

University Accommodation Service

The University Accommodation Service is run by the University to provide information on accommodation including University owned properties as well as those in the private sector. Register online at: Once registered, you will be able to search a regularly updated website. The office is located at Kellet Lodge on Tennis Court Road if you need further information or advice.

External Sites

When using external websites, it is important to be careful as many of them have no quality control and therefore not all adverts are necessarily genuine. Fraudsters will often target students; if a property sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Please use your common sense and never agree to send money as a deposit to the advertiser without having viewed the property first. We recommend that you get advice from the University Accommodation Service.

Visiting the property

If you find a property that suits you, try to view it as soon as possible. When working through an agency, ensure that one of the agents goes with you so that they can answer any questions that might arise. A potential checklist for things to look out for could be:

  • Traffic noise: visit at peak traffic times to ascertain noise levels.
  • Security: check for a burglar alarm, smoke alarms and window locks – if you can't see them, ask.
  • Utilities: bear in mind that even a 'furnished' property may not include all the furniture you see at the time of viewing, so clarify as soon as possible. Check that a current gas safety inspection certificate exists.
  • If possible, have a chat with the current tenants about their experiences of the property and of the landlord (preferably without the proprietor standing over you).

Gas Safety

Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions, and carbon monoxide poisoning. Gas Safe Register is the official list of gas engineers who are qualified to work safely and legally on gas appliances. It has replaced CORGI registration. If you are in private accommodation, it is important to be aware of Gas safety. For more information visit: students.

Download a leaflet here.


Government advice on deposits