Skip navigation

Childcare and Student Parents

Cambridge is a wonderful place to raise a family. Both the City and County Council are pro-active and there are lots of child-friendly activities and events that take place in the City. The University and most colleges also provide support and help to student parents. Below are details of a range of resources that should be of use to student parents. To receive information on the below and other events and initiatives please contact the Childcare Office to be added to their mailing list.

'Pregnancy and maternity' are protected characteristics under the Equality Act, and as such, discrimination, harassment or unfair treatment arising from such are now illegal. The University, as a public authority is required to uphold this policy. See more information on equality.

The Cambridge Guide for Student Parents

The Cambridge Guide for Student Parents provides information on finance, health care, childcare and activities in Cambridge for all students who have children.

Childcare Office

The Childcare Information Service assists with childcare questions and issues. Amongst other things, this includes providing information on local nurseries and after-school clubs. They also process applications for student places at the two workplace University Nurseries. For more information on this, visit the Childcare Office website.

GU Toddler Coffee Morning

There is an informal playgroup that is run by the Graduate Union each week at the University Centre from 10:00am to 12:30pm. This is an excellent opportunity to socialise with other student parents. Toys are supplied, and children can enjoy themselves in a safe space. Coffee is available for parents. If you would like more information about this please get in touch with the Graduate Union's Families Director at .

Holiday Playscheme

The Universities Holiday Playscheme is a joint operation between the University of Cambridge and Anglia Ruskin University, under the care of the Playscheme Co-ordinator. Children of five to 14 years can be cared for in the state school holiday periods (excluding Christmas and Bank Holidays). To find out more please visit the Childcare Office Playscheme page.

Overseas and EU Student Parents

If you are an international student with a family, then you will not be eligible for many of the government grants and provisions that are available to home students. However, you may be eligible for the Central Childcare Bursary Scheme, which is available to international student parents at most colleges. There is no set amount of bursary (with amounts available ranging from a hundred to over a thousand pounds) and the bursary is assessed on need.

Students' Unions' Advice Service

The first port of call for childcare information will usually be the Childcare Office or your college. However, if you require additional support or advice, do get in touch with the Students' Unions' Advice Service. The Students' Unions' Advice Service has good knowledge of university and college procedures as well as services within colleges, the University and the city of Cambridge, so please get in touch if you are unsure of how to proceed, need support or just want to talk something through.