Skip navigation


Whilst Cambridge is generally regarded as a safe city, it is possible at some point whilst you are studying that you may be a victim of crime.

In an Emergency

In an emergency always call 999, whether you are directly involved or witnessing a crime.

If you call 999, you will be asked a number of questions by the call taker, so try to remain calm. If it's safe to do so, remain where you made the call and await the police.

Reporting a crime

Remember, it is possible to report a crime sometime after the incident has occurred so do not be put off if you feel unable to approach the police straight away.

To report less urgent crime or disorder, to contact the police with a general enquiry or to speak to a local officer, dial 101.

101 is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The system is smart and will identify where you are calling from and connect you with the local police for that area.

You can report a crime in person at Parkside Police Station, Parkside, Cambridge CB1 1JG from 8:00am - 10;00pm

When reporting a crime you can be accompanied by a friend, partner, Student Advisor, CUSU sabbatical officer or representative from Victim Support.

Crime Stoppers is an independent charity which allows people to provide information about crimes that affect them. You can call Crimestoppers from anywhere in the UK and report a crime anonymously, so no one will even know that it was you who has made the call. Calls are not traced and you will not be asked to make a written statement. Tel: 0800 555 111

Sexual Assualt

Reporting Sexual Assualt

The Cambridgeshire Police force have specially trained police officers to deal with crimes of sexual violence. When someone contacts the police to report a sexual assault, the duty police officer will call out a specially trained officer who will then carry out the investigation.

For information and advice on reporting Rape see the information on Rapecrisis England website

At the police station, the person reporting the attack will be interviewed (and a statement will be produced) and a medical examination performed.

The woman or man involved has the right to have a friend with them while giving a statement. The police may ask personal questions, but no one should feel that they have to answer these if they are unable to do so. A detailed examination is performed to obtain evidence, and if a woman reports the crime a female police officer will be present. The medical examination does not include pregnancy testing or testing for any sexually transmitted disease - these tests can be carried out at any Sexual Health Clinic.

Sexual Assault Referral Centres (SARCS)

A Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) provides services to victims of rape or sexual assault regardless of whether the victim reports the offence to the police or not.

SARCs are designed to be comfortable and multi-functional, providing private space for interviews and examinations, and some may also offer counselling services. Sexual Assault Referral Centres have specialist staff that are trained to help you make informed decisions about what you want to do next.

Cambridge currently does not have a SARC, but there is a centre at Hinchingbrooke Hospital, one in Bedford and three centres in London - Camberwell, Paddington and Whitechapel.

Support after Sexual Assault

Cambridge Rape Crisis Centre is a helpline service run by women, for women and girls who have survived or are currently experiencing sexual violence. The helpline is also open for family, friends and professionals who are supporting a survivor. Cambridge Rape Crisis also offer a call back service. Tel: 01223 245888 (Wednesdays 7.30pm - 9.30pm, Saturdays 3.00pm - 5:30pm & Sundays 10:00am - 12:30pm) / Email Support Service: (expect a reply in 2-7 days)

Choices Counselling offers a confidential counselling service in Cambridge and surrounding areas for women and men whose lives are affected by childhood sexual abuse. Tel: 01223 358149 (24hr answerphone) / Email:

The Hope Programme offers emotional support counselling and help for rape victims and victims of sexual violence in Luton, Bedford and across Bedfordshire. Tel: 0300 365 1045 (Monday to Saturday 10:00am - 6:00pm - 24hr answer phone service)

The NHS also provides information and advice on help and support after sexual assault

Reporting Hate Crime

Hate Crime is a hatred or fear shown towards someone due to one or more of their characteristics. You can report any sort of hate crime to the police.

Victim Support

Victim Support provide a confidential phoneline for support and information on any crime. Tel: 08 08 16 89 111 (Monday - Friday 8:00pm - 8:00am; Saturday 5:00pm - Monday 8:00am)

Cambridgeshire Police Victims' Hub can give you the support needed to enable you to cope and recover from your experiences. The service is free and available to anyone who has been affected by a crime. Tel: 0800 781 6818 (Monday to Friday 8:00am - 8:00pm and Saturday 9:00am - 5:00pm) / Email:

Victim Services offer free and confidential support to victims and witnesses in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough. You can call the Victim & Witness Hub on 0800 781 6818 or email at